Friday, May 23, 2014

Gusto Italiano 2014 at Etna Italian Restaurant

Last night, I had the opportunity to attend an evening dinner given by Sphere Exhibits (Subsidiary of SPH) to Etna Italian Restaurant for a gastronomy dinner. My younger sister, Zoella, accompanied me to this dinner, and to say we both had really enjoyed ourselves there.

Etna Italian Restaurant is located at Duxton Road, where you can find rows of restaurants and bar around that area. The group executive chef was Chef Anna Borassi, the first and only female Italian chef in Singapore. She is a very friendly lady, and the way she talks to you just make you feel like you've known her for long.

Let me start off with the dishes. First they had canapés, which I didn't get a chance to photo them down. It has 3 selections, but I got to eat one of the choices only.



Main page of the event dinner menu

Menu for dinner and the wine paired for each selection
Red Snapper Bite with Warm Vegetable Carpione
Wine Paired: 2010 Falanghina, DOC
 This fish was fresh, and the sweetness of the fish goes well with the vegetable carpione. The vegetable carpione sounded so "atas". To me, the taste was similar to "Acar", or mixed pickled vegetables.
Home made biscuit by Chef Anna Borassi
This was a side dish not stated in the menu. It is a homemade biscuit by Chef Anna herself. It's not sugar at the top, but salt. The saltiness makes me want to eat more, but overall the biscuit taste is considered average.

Seared Tuna Loin with Fennel Dust, Celery Heart Salad
Wine Paired: 2010 Fiano di  Avellio, DOCG
Next was Seared Tuna. Cooked at the top, raw in the middle. I am not a sashimi lover, so this tuna wasn't in my favourite list. Zoella is a sashimi lover, and based on her reviews she said that this was good, the rasins and celery makes a good complement to the tuna.

Cannellini Beans Soup, Sage Roasted Prawn, Crispy Pancetta
Wine Paired: 2009 Greco di Tufo' DOCG
This soup was really appeasing!! The soup tasted like potato soup, and the roasted prawns give out a sweet touch to the soup, and the pancetta tasted like Chinese fried onions, which also enhance the taste of the soup. Looking at this picture is making me salivate again.

Garganelli Pasta, Porck Cheese Ragout, 24 months cured Parmigiano Reggiano, Fresh Rosemary
Wine Paired: 2005 Aglianico, DOC
 
This plate of garganelli had a very difference taste from the pasta you had outside. The pork was very tender, and the cheese had this salty taste and I would say this is a good dish! I finished them ALL.

"Menu" Black Olives Crusted Lamb Rack, Olive Oil, Whipped Potatoes, Red Onion Jam
Wine Paired: 2005 Taurasi Riversa, DOCG
This dish. This dish. Almost all made up of something that I don't like. Lamb. Olives. The potato was fine, the red onion was sweet though. I can't really take the taste and smell of lamb meat. But out of all the lamb meat that I have tasted or smelled, this was the best from all I have had. The lamb meat wasn't that strong(I am not saying that totally have no lamb meat taste, a minor smell is still there but not as strong as it is) and I had to eat it with the red onions and whipped potatoes to cover the taste away. After finishing up the potatoes, I passed it to my sister to finish up for me. :X

Etna Signature Pistachio Scented Tiramisu
Offered Liqueur: Galliano Ristretto (Coffee Liqueur)
This was the last dish, which is also the dessert served. By it's name, I guess you can tell that it will be a good dish with the "Signature" word as the name of the dessert. YES, THIS IS VERY AWESOME!!! It has a coffee taste, and also there is this greeny paste in the middle which I think is the pistachio paste, and this dessert gave me a shock. I didn't know that pistachio dessert can taste so good! I think I shall try to make this on my own.

Overall, I had a very good experience at Etna Italian  Restaurant. I supposed if this dinner was good, their daily menu should be good too. A passionate chef will whipped up a delicious meal at all time. I will try their menu some day. (:

No comments: